Youth Wins AAPE Youth Championship for the Third Time!
Dzintars Grinfelds of San Francisco is the winner of the 2005 Youth Champion of Champions competition sponsored by the American Association of Philatelic Exhibitors. The event was held in conjunction with ROPEX, a World Series of Philately show held near Rochester, New York, June 10-12. The Championship, which is underwritten by a grant from World Columbian Stamp Expo, is directed by Robert and Carol Barr of Downers Grove, Illinois.
This year’s competition included twelve exhibits (36 frames) prepared by youth aged 9 – 18. Winners of AAPE Youth Grand Awards from nationally accredited shows in the U.S. and Canada vied for the designation "Youth Champion of Champions" and eighteen other donated awards. In recognition of their high level of achievement, all participants received Fran Jennings medals, donated by the Postal History Foundation, and membership in Young Stamp Collectors of America, donated by Ken Martin, as well as Merit Certificates and ribbons.
Champion of Champions
Title Page Award
Champion of Champions Reserve Grand
A Study of the United States 1847 Issue's Usages, Rates, Transportation and Services
Welsh Philatelic Society Postal History Award
Wild Cats of the World
American Philatelic Society Membership Award
Birds of Prey
American Topical Association Award
WESTPEX Flora and Fauna Award
American Topical Association Membership Award
Milestones in the History of Aviation
Howard Hotchner Award
Chess: Game of Champions
International Society of Worldwide Stamp Collectors Award
WESTPEX Write-up Award
Birds on Stamps - Their Struggle for Survival
Unique Girl's Award
WESTPEX Award of Excellence
- Youth Champion of Champions - the best youth exhibit shown in North America in 2004-2005. Donated by WESTPEX. Winner also receives the Ralph Herdenberg Award donated by CHICAGOPEX and Ken Lawrence framed stamps.
- Reserve Grand Champion – awards donated by ROPEX and Stamp Camp USA
- Liberty Award - For the best exhibit which follows the "traditional" form.
- Welsh Philatelic Society Postal History Award - For the best postal history exhibit. Donated by Ann Triggle.
- Howard Hotchner Award - For the best portrayal of American History. Donated by John Hotchner.
- International Society of Worldwide Stamp Collectors Award – For best use of worldwide material.
- NAPEX Awards.
- NAPEX Title Page Award
- NAPEX Creativity Award
- NAPEX Topical Award
- NAPEX Thematic Award
- NAPEX Research Award
- WESTPEX Awards
- WESTPEX Write-up Award
- WESTPEX Flora and Fauna Award
- WESTPEX Award of Excellence
- APS Membership Award - Donated by Ken Martin.
- American Topical Association Youth Award
- ATA Membership Award – Donated by Johnstown Junior Stamp Club
- Potentiality Memorial Awards in memory of Sid Nichols and Chet Allen - Donated by the Pinnacle Stamp Club, Little Rock, Arkansas.
- Unique Girl’s Award - Donated by Sandy Morris